Dustin Melanson Wins $339K WSOP Playground Main Event in Montreal, Canada

Dustin Melanson (pictured) has added a World Series of Poker ring to his career victories, taking the crown in the $1,700 No Limit Hold’em Main Event at the WSOP Circuit Playground event in Montreal, Canada. 

The weekend’s $339,770 triumph more than doubled his career live earnings, and saw him take home a WSOP main event ring for the first time. 

Overcoming a formidable field of 1,660 players, the Canadian battled through several bad beats to hit the final table, albeit at a slight chip disadvantage. That was not enough to hold him back, though, and a stellar performance culminated in a heads-up deal with Sergei Gurin on the final table. 

The two players negotiated an ICM chop deal for 90% of the pool. Then Melanson won the final heads-up play of the tournament for the remaining 10% and the WSOP winners ring. 

Aggression and Pressure 

The $1,700 buy-in Main Event saw 1,660 players enter, for a total prize pool of CA$2.49 million (US$1.81 million).

The top 234 players cashed out, starting at $3100 and going north of $100,000 for the top five places. 

Despite initial chip differentials favoring Gurin, Melanson seized control of the match, ultimately emerging triumphant after a grueling 90-minute duel. 

He walked away with $339,770 in prize money after the deal, with Gurin taking home $285,230 for his troubles.

The win for Melanson more than doubles his previous career earnings of $195,000. His best tournament cash before this WSOP Main Event win was $31K. 

“I felt like I was at my best, and I felt like my opponents couldn’t really keep up with my aggression and the pressure I was putting on,” Melanson said after his victory. “I think I was very consistent with switching gears at the right time.”

WSOP Playground Main Event Cash Winners 

He also took time to praise the tournament hosts, Playground Poker Club. As Canada’s largest pro poker room, it has 52 tables. It apparently has played a pivotal role in Melanson’s successful poker career. 

“It means everything. I mean, these guys, and this poker room, essentially groomed my game and the player I am today. These guys are fantastic. They run tournaments better than anybody else in the world,” Melanson said after his win. 

“Their staff, top to bottom, is incredible. The dealers are second to none. This place is one of a kind, that’s for sure.”

1Dustin MelansonCanada$339,770
2Sergei GurinCanada$285,230
3Mohammad FeiziCanada$181,600
4George JamesCanada$140,000
5Nghi Van TranCanada$105,000
© Copyright 2024 - VegasLuck.com